Feb 16 2009

Jon and Kate Plus Product Placement

Published by at 11:59 pm under Random Musings

I record the following shows on my DVR:

• Lost
  • The Office
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • Jon and Kate Plus 8

Jon and Kate Plus 8 is the newest addition to the lineup, and even though I was late to this bandwagon, I jumped right on like the best of them. I’m not the least bit ashamed to sit down and watch four episodes in a row, but thanks to all those who have asked with one eyebrow raised ever so slightly. When I turn on the DVR and find episodes waiting for me, I have to stop everything and check in on to see what those little kids are up to, and whether or not Mady is finally going to get what she has coming. Seriously, that is one annoying kid, and this is coming from someone whose only interactions with her are tempered by the glorious mute button.

Because I am a late comer to the Jon and Kate party, I have mostly been catching up on old episodes from the past couple of seasons. And one night when I was out with friends, I mentioned how much I was enjoying the show to my friend James. He scoffed,

“That show is just one big advertisement now.”

Which confused me. Granted, I had only been watching old episodes, but I hadn’t really noticed anything like the uncomfortably forced product placement that seems to be permeating network shows these days. Until tonight. I caught a rare NEW episode tonight, which was exciting for me at first, because as I sat down on the couch, I felt like I was finally on the same page as all my fellow fans.

And then the show started with a big white moving truck backing up into the Gosselin’s driveway. Off the truck came boxes and boxes of appliances for the new house the family has apparently just moved into. The little kids were excited by the commotion and ran through the house screaming, and everything seemed like just another day on the best little show in the world.

But then, instead of simply installing the boring appliances and getting on with the show I was here to watch, the camera cut to Jon and Kate sitting in their chair and discussing the specifics of their new washer and dryer. That discussion went pretty much like this:

Kate: “I just love our new washer and dryer from Whirlpool! They look so beautiful sitting side by side in the laundry room.”
Jon: “Yeah, aren’t those the Duets?”
Kate: “They sure are, Jon! We had some in our old house and after that amazing experience, I knew the Whirlpool Duets were the ONLY washer and dryer I’d put in the new house!”

I kid you not, as this point the camera cut to ZOOM IN on the Whirlpool Duets logo on the washing machine.

Now cut to Kate in the laundry room with her newly installed Whirlpool Duets.

Kate, talking to…nobody?: “My Whirlpool Duets are so small that they fit perfectly in the room and they’re so easy to use, but they still have tons of options! I can even wash ALL of my kids’ jeans in ONE LOAD! What other washing machine can do that? They make laundry a joy! They’re like having little friends in my laundry room!”

I swear to you that she called them her “little friends” in the laundry room. And until that point, Brittany and I had just been sitting there asking each other if this was for real. But once Kate crossed the “little friends” line, that was the last straw. We turned off the TV. I want to watch Jon and Kate Plus 8, not some thirty minute commercial for Whirlpool Duets!

Sadly, it looks like James was right. Maybe the rest of the episode was better, I don’t know. It just wasn’t worth sitting through any more of that charade to find out. I realize that companies are sticking their products into shows in order to still get their message in front of people like me who DVR my shows and fast forward my way through the commercials. But my show is only thirty minutes long, people! Does the product hawking have to go on for SO LONG? Instead of all that awkward adspeak, allow me to offer a better suggestion:

• Open the episode with the little teaser about what today’s episode is going to be about
  • Roll the opening credits and theme song
  • Now, before anything else happens, have Kate walk right up the camera and yell, “Buy a Whirlpool washing machine or I’ll send Mady to come live with you!”
  • Proceed with show

That would improve my life because it would only take four seconds of my show, AND I bet Whirlpool would sell a lot more Duets. Think about it.

NEXT: A year ago I was in Thailand. Sigh. »

21 responses so far

21 Responses to “Jon and Kate Plus Product Placement”

1. Tienon 17 Feb 2009 at 3:34 am

I wondered if anyone had written about that horrible product placement show. I used to love this show and now it’s gone and jumped the shark! I’m so upset. They keep doing this and they won’t have a show for much longer.

2. Kim@Galavantingon 17 Feb 2009 at 9:28 am

While I’d definitely prefer product placement to me having to shell out subscription money to watch a show (apparently these things are free to produce), I agree it should be so blatant it insults viewers. Loving your idea of just coming out with it, that would totally work!

3. Kim@Galavantingon 17 Feb 2009 at 9:28 am

Heh, that was supposed to be “shouldn’t be so blatant”…

4. Hollyon 17 Feb 2009 at 10:16 am

Other J&K+8 mysteries I would like you to solve for me: What really happened with Aunt Jodi? and Where is their new house located?
    Thanks, Love You!!

5. Benon 17 Feb 2009 at 11:50 am

Uh-oh, now that I wrote an entry about Whirlpool, ads for Whirlpool are appearing here too! There is no escape!!

6. Nate's Momon 17 Feb 2009 at 5:20 pm

Maybe you could be Whirlpool’s version of the Maytag man. I’m sure you can put a positive spin on this and turn it into a lucrative venture.

7. Lindsayon 17 Feb 2009 at 11:50 pm

For your information, the rest of the episode was a total bummer (and you, Ben, know of my cute, cuddly obsession I have with everyone but Mady…ew). For a regretful 30 minutes, I glued my eyelids to my forehead just to catch the post-product placement frenzy, and ultimately found out that the rest of the show consisted of the 6 little kids painting the basement with their own miniature paint rollers. Awesome. Although Hannah is adorable. Better luck next week. They’re getting 2 dogs.

I can solve mysteries:

Aunt Jodi is in PA while J&K+8 moved to (i think) central VA. Hurray!! Now we can officially welcome them as Virginians!

8. Mary Roachon 18 Feb 2009 at 6:01 am

Aunt Jodi is still in Elizabethtown, PA and the Gosselins moved to Wernersville, PA (about 1 hr away) . If you go to the Gosselins without Pity Blog, you can find TONS of inside info over there !

9. Kellyon 19 Feb 2009 at 9:20 am

Yeah, did you ever notice how all the kids are always dressed in perfectly matched Gap outfits? As if a family of ten on one income could afford 8 Gap outfits per day? I still love the show, though. Just not Mady. I hope none of my children are like her.

10. Brittanyon 19 Feb 2009 at 10:40 am

Dude! What’s with all the Mady hate?? She’s hilarious! I mean, I know I can say that as an observer that only has to deal with her in 30-minute stints, but I’m kind of fond of that attention-deprived diva.

11. Darcieon 19 Feb 2009 at 2:15 pm

I have to say, I’ve jumped from J&K to the Duggers. Kris won’t let Kate near our TV set….she makes me laugh!

12. Alinaon 21 Feb 2009 at 10:00 pm

I know, I watched the 30 minutes of constant ads for Whirlpool Duets. Even my 10 year old sister picked up on it in, like, a nanosecond. I liked when they painted the basement. But I can’t wait to see when Kate realizes what work 2 puppies require . . . I’m tuning in just to see that. But I love my Jon and Kate when they weren’t 30 minute advertisers/ infomercials.
    -Alina

13. meghanon 22 Mar 2009 at 4:27 pm

I dont understand why all of you don’t like Mady. She’s only seven or eight. Personally, I love this show and ALL of the kids. I don’t believe that it turned into a big commercial. If you don’t like the show you don’t have to watch it. Also, they are people to. You should back of. I don’t believe the junk about that Jon and Kate are breaking child labor laws for them.

14. RUDYon 30 Apr 2009 at 7:12 pm

PLEASE PEOPLE. I AM GLAD SHE TOLD US WHAT SHE USES. CAN YOU IMAGE HOW MUCH LAUNDRY SHE DOES. AS A PERSON WHO DOES ALOT OF LAUNDRY, I WAS VERY INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT SHE USES. LOOK AT THOSE PEOPLE 18 AND COUNTING, THOSE PEOPLE ARE OVER POPULATING THE WORLD. ON THEIR SHOW THEY ONLY SHOW THE OLDER ONES DOING ALL THE WORK. TALK ABOUT CHILD LABOR. IF THE MOTHER IS ALWAYS HAVING ANOTHER ONE SHE IS NEVER AROUND. I WOULD KEEP HAVING THEM TOO IF IT MEANT I DIDN’T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER 17 AND COUNTING.

15. irish pubon 19 Aug 2009 at 7:58 am

This show was nice previously but it did not prove to be nice now, they can improve a lot.

16. Acaislimon 14 Oct 2009 at 9:59 am

17. hellomoon888on 12 Dec 2010 at 2:03 am

Adding to the beauty and tranquility this island is surrounded by it has thus become a base for shooting movies and documentaries due to its fascinating landscapes and escapades.Forbidden City The film base was set up in 1996 and a number of short films with leading Chinese film stars graced the lands on the Star Island Lake to make their shows memorable.

18. ESon 23 Apr 2011 at 9:45 pm

Great Post! Providing fear of flying products for over five years.

19. Barcelona Apartmentson 27 Apr 2011 at 6:16 am

I love those shows,so i bought them and im keeping a collection of it…cheersss

20. Thomas Lohrmannon 16 Jul 2011 at 1:43 pm

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Thanks!

21. selforderon 28 Jul 2011 at 12:27 am

Along with the whole thing that seems to be building throughout this specific subject matter, a significant percentage of points of view tend to be rather exciting. Nonetheless, I appologize, because I do not give credence to your whole idea, all be it radical none the less. It appears to us that your opinions are actually not entirely validated and in actuality you are generally yourself not fully certain of your argument. In any case I did take pleasure in looking at it.

Comments RSS